Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jerrie Cobb

My first Awesome Woman of the Day is Jerrie Cobb, along with the Mercury 13. I first heard about her when a story came out about a group of women, the Mercury 13, who took the same tests as the men who went on to become the first Americans on the moon. The women were in serious training to go on that trip, but were pulled for various reasons, or one - sexism - depending on where you're reading. I've been trying to find the original article I read a few years ago, and will post it when I find it. (Ok, this is shorter than many, but it's a start :)

en.wikipedia.org
Geraldyn ("Jerrie") M. Cobb (born March 5, 1931)[1] in Norman, Oklahoma is an American aviator. She was also part of the "Mercury 13," a group of women who underwent some of the same physiological screening tests as the original Mercury Seven astronauts as part of a private, non-NASA program.