Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jarrah Hodge





The Awesome Woman of the Day for Thursday, March 8, 2012 is Jarrah Hodge.


In honour of International Women's Day, I decided to induct a woman who's inspired me and helped me grow as a feminist. Jarrah runs the Canadian Blog Gender Focus. I was a reader for a couple years, when I contacted her to see if she planned on writing about the Occupy wall street protests at all. She encouraged me to write an article and published it on the site. Since I've become a regular contributor. Writing has helped me find my voice and become much more active in the fight for equality.

Jarrah graduated from the University of British Columbia with a B.A. in Women’s Studies and Sociology. In addition to running Gender Focus, Jarrah blogs for the Huffington Post. In 2011 she wrote a series of posts on feminism and nerd culture for Bitch Magazine Blogs and she has also written for the Vancouver Observer and About-Face. She’s a fan of politics, crafts, boardgames, musical theatre, and brunch. — with Amy Feld.