Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Trish"

The Awesome Woman of the Day for Wednesday, March 7, 2012 is my friend Trish. She's not famous. She's one of my best friends from Minnesota (USA) and has been a profound influence on me since I was about 14.

Trish was born near St. Paul, MN USA on March 1, 1961, and she grew up in Eagan. She was the sixth of seven kids, described by her mother, Rose, as her spiritual child.

The first time I saw Trish, she was being bullied by an older guy who was an unbelievable douche. It was the first week or so of high school, and she was from the other junior high. She yelled at the guy and fought back. And that was the first of so many examples she set for me over the years.

Every really difficult thing I've ever had to do in my life since tenth grade, she's either led the way or been there to give me support. She showed me how to let go of hurt feelings or anger over the small stuff (That was yesterday.l I was mad then. This is today, and I'm over it).

She showed me how to walk away from someone you love who is hurting you - and then get back together with that person once things changed. She showed me how to be a mom with a chronic illness. She was diagnosed with MS in 1994, and she has never ever minimized how bad that sucks. At the same time, she has never stopped doing whatever she can to make her life better in the moment that she's in, no matter what her physical limitations are any given day.

And she raised her daughter to be able to deal with the fact that her mother wasn't as available as they both wanted her to be, feeling the disappointment and getting through it. And no matter how bad it sucks, she laughs.

What matters is now, she says.

March is National MS Education & Awareness Month in the USA. 

National MS Education & Awareness Month www.msfocus.org
What is National MS Education and Awareness Month™? National MS Education and Awareness Month is an effort by the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) and affiliated groups to raise the public's awareness of multiple sclerosis. The vital goals of this campaign are to promote an understanding of the ...